Definition of whooping cough in English:
A contagious bacterial disease chiefly affecting children, characterized by convulsive coughs followed by a whoop. Also called pertussis.
- The organism responsible is Bordetella pertussis, a Gram-negative bacterium intermediate between a coccus and a bacillus
- The principal recorded killers were smallpox, influenza, measles, typhoid, typhus, chickenpox, whooping cough, tuberculosis and syphilis.
- Set to come into use in September, the jab will protect babies against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, Hib and polio at two months.
- The tests, carried out between 1960 and 1973, involved vaccines for conditions such as rubella, whooping cough, diphtheria, tetanus and polio.
Definition of whooping cough in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan