Definition of whooping cough in English:
A contagious bacterial disease chiefly affecting children, characterized by convulsive coughs followed by a whoop. Also called pertussis.
- The organism responsible is Bordetella pertussis, a Gram-negative bacterium intermediate between a coccus and a bacillus
- The principal recorded killers were smallpox, influenza, measles, typhoid, typhus, chickenpox, whooping cough, tuberculosis and syphilis.
- Set to come into use in September, the jab will protect babies against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, Hib and polio at two months.
- The tests, carried out between 1960 and 1973, involved vaccines for conditions such as rubella, whooping cough, diphtheria, tetanus and polio.
Definition of whooping cough in:
- British & World English dictionary