noun (plural whortleberries)
- A bilberry.More example sentences
- Clustered among the turning leaves were bilberries, cranberries, bog whortleberries, cloudberries and a dozen others, edible and poisonous.
- On overcast afternoons, all alone in the drizzle, my mother, carrying a basket (stained blue on the inside by somebody's whortleberries), would set out on a long collecting tour.
- The most popular plant worn as a clan emblem was the red whortleberry.
late 16th century: dialect variant of Middle English hurtleberry, of unknown origin.
More definitions of whortleberryDefinition of whortleberry in:
- The British & World English dictionary