Definition of whydah in English:
An African weaverbird, the male of which has a black back and a very long black tail used in display flight.
- Genus Vidua, family Ploceidae: several species
- In particular, female indigobirds might prefer males with long tails like those of male paradise whydahs, perhaps because they retain an ancestral sensory bias.
- Her daughter, genetically an indigobird, imprinted on her Melba Finch foster parents and then mated with a male paradise whydah mimicking Melba Finch song.
- In the first, a female paradise whydah mates with a male indigobird (whether by choice or coercion), then lays an egg in a nest of her usual host, Melba Finch.
Late 18th century (originally widow-bird): alteration by association with Whidah (now Ouidah), a town in Benin.
Words that rhyme with whydahbidder, consider, Jiddah, kidder
Definition of whydah in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.