Definition of wicket in English:
1 (also wicket door or wicket gate) A small door or gate, especially one beside or in a larger one.
- The style of the gate should match the house: a wicket gate would look out of place in a smart city setting, whereas antique wrought iron might lead to expectations that a cottage garden fails to meet.
- Outside in the yard was a storm water drain which was used as an urinal and a water barrel for collecting the water from the roof and the slated stone buildings, a wicket gate leading to a dry toilet at the and of the garden.
- Hastily, the girl slid backwards on hands and knees behind the nearest tree, and watched as they opened the wicket gate and walked down the track deeper into the forest.
1.2North American One of the wire hoops on a croquet course.
- Each player takes a croquet mallet and must only use the striking end, not the side, when moving their ball through the croquet wickets.
- The wickets are metal or wire pieces that look like miniature arches and are located throughout the croquet course.
2 Cricket Each of the sets of three stumps with two bails across the top at either end of the pitch, defended by a batsman.
- But if the bowler can knock the bails off the wickets, the batsman is out.
- Yes, it's the fast bowler strutting his stuff: running up to the wicket; wrecking a batsman's stumps.
- It was there that Robert and his pupils played cricket on a pitch marked out by wickets of willow sticks.
2.1The prepared strip of ground between the wickets.
- You can spend some time at the crease, get used to the bowler's action, the ground, the wicket.
- So we sat around while a new wicket was prepared and cut, which was the only way of playing.
- It thus becomes important for us to prepare fast and bouncy wickets at home, so that our batsmen get used to these surfaces.
2.2The dismissal of a batsman; each of ten dismissals regarded as marking a division of a side’s innings: Darlington won by four wickets
More example sentences
- Man-of-the-match Hill snatched four quick wickets as the home side found themselves in disarray on 47-6.
- Dringhouses maintained their good start in division two as they beat a fancied Sewerby side by four wickets.
- He took 2-37 and then rapped out 61 off only 36 balls with 12 fours as his side won by seven wickets.
a sticky wicket
- Cricket A pitch that has been drying after rain and is difficult to bat on.Example sentences
- Supporters heading to today's game at Wandella would be pleased to know that the rain also failed to turn Wandella Road into a sticky wicket.
- True, it spoke without much inflection, as if reporting a cricket score from a sticky wicket.
- The Bears were sent in on a sticky wicket and were soon in trouble at 3-7.
- [in singular] informal 1.1 A tricky or awkward situation: the problem of who sits where can create a sticky wicketMore example sentences
- The controlling group needs to know they are going to be on a sticky wicket with this.
- With increasing education levels, and rising standards of living (with rising expectations) China's fascist rulers are on a sticky wicket.
- The Democratic Presidential nominee, who has been railing against outsourcing, is walking on a sticky wicket on the issue.
take a wicket
- Cricket (Of a bowler or a fielding side) dismiss a batsman.Example sentences
- He quite rightly deserved a standing ovation from the 1000-strong crowd, and he also received a smattering of applause from the Zimbabwe bowlers, who were relieved at finally taking a wicket.
- Hat tricks, in which a bowler takes a wicket with three consecutive balls, are fairly uncommon.
- He was the only Wharfedale bowler to take a wicket, finishing with five for 34 as the other three wickets in a total of 160 for eight fell to run outs.
Definition of wicket in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan