Definition of wide-body in English:
adjective[attributive] (also wide-bodied)
1Having a wide body, in particular.
- ‘I think we need to get another, kind of an up-front, wide-body guy,’ he said.
- A wide-body run stuffer who doesn't offer much as a pass rusher.
- Green is a wide-body run stuffer, another short, but stocky defensive lineman for Dom Capers to rotate into the game.
1.1(Of a large jet airplane) having a wide fuselage.
- Full-service Asian airlines operated wide-bodied aircraft which could carry a full cargo load.
- Although business jets flew cross-polar routes before widebody airliners, they are yet to master everyday flying over the North Pole.
- At the same time, the imminent introduction of wide-bodied aircraft threatened to shake up the entire industry for the second time in ten years.
1.2chiefly US (Of a tennis racket) having a wide head.
- These results are all the more impressive because most top professionals are not yet using the most radical designs, exceptionally stiff wide-bodied rackets that they feel don't allow enough topspin.
- Over a period of years, modern racket technology has developed powerful, light, wide-bodied rackets that are easier to wield than wooden rackets were and have a much larger effective hitting area.
noun(plural wide-bodies) (also widebody) Back to top
1A large jet airplane with a wide fuselage.
- A spokesman for the airline said the widebody suited the Edinburgh route better as it almost doubled the number of business class seats to 25.
- The cases involved large and small transport aircraft, 18 different models, from the Jetstream 31 and the Canadair Regional Jet to an A300 widebody.
- For some aircraft, such as the older but popular widebodies, the first factor is having a greater effect than the second, and there is a net increase in value.
3US informal A large, heavily built person, especially one who plays a team sport.
- Poor tackling on the perimeter caused the run defense to struggle last season, and starting DTs John Thornton and Langston Moore need a widebody to join the rotation.… The Ravens have to find a defensive lineman who can collapse the pocket.
- Pili is a widebody who can eat blocks and stuff the run, but is not going to generate much of a pass rush.
- The Texans prefer massive widebodies to keep blockers off of the linebackers, but he may be able to turn some heads if he is consistently able to penetrate and make plays.
Definition of wide-body in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.