1Fully open: the door was wide open
More example sentences
- The wallet of the eventual buyer will also have to fall wide open.
- Above, the ancient door of massive timber in good preservation, being wide open, I walked in.
- The way he seemed to be squinting with his eyes wide open.
2(Of an issue or a contest) completely unresolved or unpredictable.
- After recent years where one or two teams have dominated the league, it is welcoming to see a genuine three horse title race, and the surprise results that have blown the contest wide open.
- The straw poll of parliamentary party members last week showed no clear winner emerging leaving the contest wide open.
- The contest was wide open at the break, but the Borderers made full use of the wind in the second half to eventually seal a deserved win.
3Vulnerable, especially to attack.
- Once it does, his body is left wide open for an attack.
- Once again the national media were operating off the philosophy that if a person has been involved in controversy they are wide open for attack.
- This left my stomach and chest wide open for attack, and he lunged forward.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.