Definition of wide open in English:
2(Of an issue or a contest) completely unresolved or unpredictable.
- After recent years where one or two teams have dominated the league, it is welcoming to see a genuine three horse title race, and the surprise results that have blown the contest wide open.
- The straw poll of parliamentary party members last week showed no clear winner emerging leaving the contest wide open.
- The contest was wide open at the break, but the Borderers made full use of the wind in the second half to eventually seal a deserved win.
3Vulnerable, especially to attack.
- Once it does, his body is left wide open for an attack.
- Once again the national media were operating off the philosophy that if a person has been involved in controversy they are wide open for attack.
- This left my stomach and chest wide open for attack, and he lunged forward.