A dabbling duck with mainly reddish-brown and gray plumage, the male having a whistling call.
- Genus Anas, family Anatidae: several species, in particular the American wigeon (A. americana)and the Eurasian wigeon (A. penelope)
More example sentences
- Females during the breeding season and the young eat many aquatic invertebrates, but aside from that, wigeons are plant-eaters.
- Where the trail hugs the edge of the slough, watch for waterfowl - pintails, green-winged teals, and widgeons - and listen for the machine-gun rattle of belted kingfishers.
- My first sighting was of large numbers of pink-footed geese and wigeon along with some ringed plover and shelduck.
early 16th century: perhaps of imitative origin and suggested by pigeon1.
Definition of wigeon in:
- The British & World English dictionary