Definition of wild rice in English:
1A tall aquatic North American grass related to rice, with edible grains.
- Zizania aquatica, family Gramineae
- The latter, sometimes called Manchurian wild rice or water grass, has broader leaves, which are used for wrapping dumplings.
- If your pond is at least three feet deep, you can experiment with wild rice, water lotus, and water lily.
- Gish did not identify any wild rice, maize, or cucurbit pollen.
1.1The grain of the wild rice plant used as food.
- Yet, the wild rice in this instance works quite well, adding a simple dimension of crunch to a pie that is otherwise dominated by the nutty, woody, smoky flavors of morel and bison.
- Joan's mother, who was stirring around the wild rice, shot her head up in alarm.
- Spend some energy on a side dish, such as a wonderful wild rice pilaf with dried apricots, cranberries, and pistachios.
Definition of wild rice in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India