noun (plural same or willets)
- A large North American sandpiper.
More example sentences
- Catoptrophorus semipalmatus, family Scolopacidae
- This was also true with the common snipe, lesser yellowlegs, willet, and western sandpiper.
- From there, you can walk along the island's beach below the headquarters for a quarter to half a mile to extensive mud flats where colorful American oystercatchers, willets, black-bellied plovers and red knots are usually numerous.
- For some shorebird species, such as willets and dunlin, we had diet data from BBH, although diets for several other species at this site are unknown.
mid 19th century: imitative of its call, pill-will-willet.
More definitions of willetDefinition of willet in:
- The British & World English dictionary