Definition of willet in English:
noun (plural same or willets)
A large North American sandpiper.
- Catoptrophorus semipalmatus, family Scolopacidae
- This was also true with the common snipe, lesser yellowlegs, willet, and western sandpiper.
- From there, you can walk along the island's beach below the headquarters for a quarter to half a mile to extensive mud flats where colorful American oystercatchers, willets, black-bellied plovers and red knots are usually numerous.
- For some shorebird species, such as willets and dunlin, we had diet data from BBH, although diets for several other species at this site are unknown.
Mid 19th century: imitative of its call, pill-will-willet.
Words that rhyme with willetbillet, filet, fillet, millet, skillet
Definition of willet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.