Definition of willet in English:
noun (plural same or willets)
A large North American sandpiper.
- Catoptrophorus semipalmatus, family Scolopacidae
- This was also true with the common snipe, lesser yellowlegs, willet, and western sandpiper.
- From there, you can walk along the island's beach below the headquarters for a quarter to half a mile to extensive mud flats where colorful American oystercatchers, willets, black-bellied plovers and red knots are usually numerous.
- For some shorebird species, such as willets and dunlin, we had diet data from BBH, although diets for several other species at this site are unknown.
mid 19th century: imitative of its call, pill-will-willet.
Definition of willet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan