Give a slight involuntary grimace or shrinking movement of the body out of or in anticipation of pain or distress: he winced at the disgust in her voice
More example sentences
- Seria dropped to all fours and winced as pain cut through her palms like a sharp knife.
- She tried to stand, but she winced in pain and clutched her side before slumping back onto the chair.
- She winced in pain from the stitches in her shoulder when she reached down to the floor.
noun[in singular] Back to top
A slight grimace or shrinking movement caused by pain or distress.
- Example sentences
- There is a sprinkling of hobblers, plenty of wincers, and almost universal hollow eyes and messed hair.
- Now I have a dream that the primary school children of today might grow up in a nation that does not know wincers and eye rollers.
- Although Maurice is mentioned prominently on a website called Speed Trap Exchange, the wincers would say that, strictly speaking, Maurice does not operate a speed trap.
- Example sentences
- A Scots comedian's wincingly accurate portrayal of life inside the corridors of power depicting a downtrodden minister and a bullying spin doctor has already received widespread acclaim.
- Mind you, I wouldn't mind not hearing some of the local ads, which can be wincingly bad.
- While wincingly memorable and undoubtedly made by an historic personage, it has no historical significance in the sense we understand.
Words that rhyme with wincechintz, convince, evince, Linz, mince, Port-au-Prince, prince, quince, rinse, since, Vince
A roller for moving textile fabric through a dyeing vat.
- The Hengst was fitted on one side with a wooden winch, the ‘wince’, and could be fastened to the side of the vat or copper by means of a rod into which it was driven.
- Sometimes the ebullition is kept up for a quarter of an hour; the pieces all the while being turned over a wince, from one side of the copper vessel to the other.
Late 17th century (in the sense 'winch'): variant of winch.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan