Definition of winch in English:
1A hauling or lifting device consisting of a rope, cable, or chain winding around a horizontal rotating drum, turned by a crank or by motor or other power source; a windlass.
- They do the work of motorized winches - haul logs, or move stuck tractors, raise towers, and so on - but with the deftness of a human hand.
- The para-dropping and cargo handling equipment comprises two travelling cranes, two winches, rollgang and tiedown equipment.
- Lucia was going to need a winch to haul me around everyday.
2The crank of a wheel or axle.
- My primary role on the boat is called a ‘grinder’, and I provide power for the winches [the circular wheels which wind the boat's sails up and down].
- The vessel to be fitted with winches, derricks, wheels and ordinary runners capable of handling lifts up to 2 tons.
verb[with object] Back to top
Hoist or haul with a winch.
- Dramatic television footage showed rescue workers winching the nine survivors one-by-one from the roof of the restaurant as flames and smoke poured from the upper floors of the building in Taichung City in central Taiwan.
- Having botched the attempt, and learnt Cleopatra was still alive, he is supposed to have been carried to the mausoleum and winched by the women up through a window to expire after a fine speech in his lover's arms.
- Indian papers have been publishing pictures of women being winched to the bottom of wells to scoop up muddy liquid from what looks like puddles.
- Example sentences
- I'm trying to order a couple of sets of winchers and can't seem to find anyone who has them.
- I find the wincher a complete inconvenience as a sheet winch, but as a halyard winch it's somewhat functional.
- I used a set of winchers for over 10 years.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan