Definition of windmill in English:
1A building with sails or vanes that turn in the wind and generate power to grind grain into flour.
- In the past windmills were used to grind corn into flour.
- Clocks told the time, windmills ground corn, cranes lifted things and so on.
- From the seventh century on, peasants designed and built adobe horizontal-vaned windmills to harness the wind power and grind wheat into flour.
1.1A structure using wind to generate electricity or draw water.
- Why is that not to be taken into account, yet building a windmill is?
- Six million windmills were built across the U.S. between 1850 and 1970.
- No government or private firm would build a windmill in Toronto, so the people did.
verbBack to top
1(With reference to a person’s arms) move or be moved around in a circle in a manner suggestive of the rotating sails or vanes of a windmill.
- An avant-garde version of Ashlee Simpson, Thomas alternated between banshee wails and guttural growls to pre-recorded noise, while windmilling her arm to sometimes strike the strings of her guitar.
- My first impulse is to get off my toes and stand flat-footed, but as soon as I try that, I begin to fall, windmilling my arms as fast as I can to steady myself, but the motion is hindered by my wings, which crush under my weight on impact.
- Razzaq windmilled his arms, and Inzamam-ul-Haq came, a wide smile painted on his face, and lifted him up.
1.1 [no object] (Of the propeller or rotor of an aircraft, or the aircraft itself) spin unpowered.
- After shutting off the cross-feed, No.4 engine resumed its steady operation while the other three dead engine propellers were windmilling.
- Because I didn't want to start a fire, that's where the lever remained with one problem: The propeller was windmilling, and my energy state was deteriorating as quickly as the engine was.
- This is compounded during descents and glides when the throttle is closed or nearly closed, and the engine is windmilling above the normal rpm for the throttle setting.
- 1tilt at windmills
- see tilt.
Words that rhyme with windmilltreadmill • gristmill
Definition of windmill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.