Definition of window dressing in English:
1The arrangement of an attractive display in a shop window.
- However, Elfi did also enjoy dress design, interior design and window dressing and these courses did receive the maternal nod, and she graduated with qualifications in them all.
- Simon is the head baker of the family, while Julie - also currently studying interior design - has become something of an expert on window dressing.
1.1An adroit but superficial or actually misleading presentation of something, designed to create a favorable impression: the government’s effort has amounted to little more than window dressing
More example sentences
- Or was it, as his rivals claim, merely window dressing designed to conceal as well as reveal?
- The professional guidelines that news organizations have developed through the years are more than just a form of fancy window dressing designed to disguise the hidden political agendas of reporters and anchormen.
- Superficially, there may appear to be a change but it takes more than window dressing to affect real change.
Definition of window dressing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia