Definition of wingback in English:
1 Football An offensive back who lines up outside an end.
- Solich will have quarterback Eric Crouch, wingback Bobby Newcombe and those silos known as Nebraska offensive linemen returning, so the Huskers figure to keep on rolling.
- Ford City running back Aaron Bell carried 11 times for 75 yards and two touchdowns, while sophomore wingback Derek Bush led the Sabers with 84 yards and a score on just nine trips.
- Linebacker Joey Porter spent his first two seasons at Colorado State at H-back, and in high school he played wide receiver and wingback.
2 Soccer A player who plays in a wide position on the field, taking part both in attack and defense.
- Last month's signing of Peter Kennedy has had some people speculating that Paul Jewell might be ready to experiment with a wing back system with three centre backs in defence.
- I suppose I would have to say left back because that is where I have played most of my career, but I can also play in a wing back role or on the left side of midfield.
- The wing back had been the Celtic player closest to Larsson when he collapsed in a challenge with Lyon defender Serge Blanc.
Words that rhyme with wingbackslingback
Definition of wingback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.