Definition of wingback in English:
1 Football An offensive back who lines up outside an end.
- Solich will have quarterback Eric Crouch, wingback Bobby Newcombe and those silos known as Nebraska offensive linemen returning, so the Huskers figure to keep on rolling.
- Ford City running back Aaron Bell carried 11 times for 75 yards and two touchdowns, while sophomore wingback Derek Bush led the Sabers with 84 yards and a score on just nine trips.
- Linebacker Joey Porter spent his first two seasons at Colorado State at H-back, and in high school he played wide receiver and wingback.
2 Soccer A player who plays in a wide position on the field, taking part both in attack and defense.
- Last month's signing of Peter Kennedy has had some people speculating that Paul Jewell might be ready to experiment with a wing back system with three centre backs in defence.
- I suppose I would have to say left back because that is where I have played most of my career, but I can also play in a wing back role or on the left side of midfield.
- The wing back had been the Celtic player closest to Larsson when he collapsed in a challenge with Lyon defender Serge Blanc.
Words that rhyme with wingbackslingback
Definition of wingback in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India