Definition of winsome in English:
Attractive or appealing in appearance or character: a winsome smile
More example sentences
- He slid those dark eyes toward her, full of winsome appeal.
- Perhaps the car's unusual looks, which were striking when it was first launched, are no longer as fresh and winsome as they once were.
- She looked at the cop, quickly pulling on her most winsome innocent face.
- Example sentences
- I wonder if he was himself entirely convinced of the movement, but the result was at any rate better than any sappy and winsomely flat approach which is all too often the alternative.
- Nightly she was called back for an encore, winsomely protesting that since she hadn't expected such an ecstatic reception she had nothing prepared and called instead for questions from the audience.
- He'll flash his diamond ring at me and grin winsomely, call me ‘Guv'nor’ and set a price which will be high but just within the range he can read next to the word MUG on my forehead,.
Old English wynsum, from wyn 'joy' + -some1.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.