Definition of winter moth in English:
A moth that emerges in the winter, the female of which has only vestigial wings. It was formerly a major pest of fruit trees.
- Several species in the family Geometridae
- A 23-year study of great tits and winter moths at one site in the Netherlands revealed that by 1995, the early caterpillars were hatching about 9 days sooner and developing into moth pupae more quickly than they did in 1973.
- Witch hazel takes advantage of the pollination services of winter moths of the genus Eupsilia, which are active in fall.
- It will capture winter moths that climb into the canopy to lay eggs, thus preventing grubs attacking the flowers and foliage next spring.
Definition of winter moth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan