Definition of wishbone in English:
1A forked bone (the furcula) between the neck and breast of a bird. According to a popular custom, this bone from a cooked bird is broken by two people, with the holder of the longer portion being entitled to make a wish.
- In Sue, the two shoulder blades seem to be joined by a very small, almost straight piece of bone, and this was supposed to suggest that this was a wishbone like a bird's.
- Heaped on a pedestal, the intact wishbones are perfect wish opportunities forgone for the sake of art.
- Tyrannosaurs shared a number of characteristics with birds, including hollow bones, feet with three primary toes that all pointed forward, and a wishbone.
2An object of similar shape to a wishbone, in particular.
- The F400 uses a pushrod design and all the wishbones are aerodynamically shaped.
- Approximating a range of icons - spaceship, comma, wishbone, beetle, picket fence - these ensembles are studies in the suggestiveness of simple shapes.
- A steel wishbone can be bent into amazing shapes before it breaks while a carbon version, although stronger, will snap rather than bend.
2.1 Football An offensive formation in which the fullback lines up immediately behind the quarterback with the two halfbacks behind and on either side of the fullback.
- The school with the history and tradition of running quarterbacks and wishbone offenses was about to be hit with culture shock.
- Just line him up any which way - West Coast, vertical offense, wing-T, wishbone, doesn't matter - and let the most exciting player in the league do his thing.
- The three who came before Stoops all had one common flaw: Their offenses - wishbone or not - never made an impact.
2.2A forked element in the suspension of a motor vehicle or aircraft, typically attached to a wheel at one end with the two arms hinged to the chassis.
- The front suspension is a double wishbone coil spring with damper and a five-link coil sprung solid axle in the rear.
- The double wishbone suspension and coil-over shocks are mounted to large aluminum castings.
- A double wishbone front suspension and gas-filled rear shocks help absorb vibration at faster speeds while providing a smoother ride over mixed road services.
Words that rhyme with wishbonesplint bone • herringbone
Definition of wishbone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.