Definition of witchweed in English:
A small parasitic plant that attaches itself to the roots of other plants. Native to the Old World tropics and southern Africa, it has been introduced into North America and can cause serious damage to crops such as corn and sugar.
- Genus Striga, family Scrophulariaceae
- In Africa, sorghum, millet and maize production can be reduced by as much as 70% by a parasitic weed called witchweed or striga.
- I am no expert on those sorts of things nor on witchweed, snakeweed, and butterbur.
- Additionally, the project has shown the potential for using fungal pathogens to control other African weeds, including speargrass and witchweed.
Definition of witchweed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.