- 1The action of withdrawing something: the withdrawal of legal aidMore example sentences
- Cr Jeffery offered to withdraw his withdrawal, but the mayor ruled it against meeting procedure.
- High-intensity trauma cases or withdrawal of life support share similarities with potential organ donation cases.
- During the 1990s families were forced to cope with high unemployment, benefit cuts, and the cancellation or withdrawal of basic health and social services.
- 1.1An act of taking money out of an account.More example sentences
- Police said she had made withdrawals from her bank account on both days, but they had received no reports of anyone jumping into the Thames.
- Pre-authorized withdrawals from bank accounts might have been affected as well.
- Cashcards normally constitute credit tokens unless the account from which withdrawals are made cannot go into debit.
- 1.2A sum of money withdrawn from an account: a $30,000 cash withdrawalMore example sentences
- An amount equalling the cash withdrawal would typically be deposited back into the account and then wired to a European bank.
- The company didn't investigate further, stating that the $600 cash withdrawal was not large enough for them to prosecute.
- A few years ago, I left my £20 withdrawal in an HSBC cash machine by mistake.
- 1.3The action of ceasing to participate in an activity: her withdrawal from the commercial art worldMore example sentences
- It could also lead to isolation from peers or withdrawal from activities, which could increase the risk for depression.
- Be alert to symptoms of bullying, such as changed behaviors, passivity, and withdrawal from group activities
- In school-age children, depression can manifest as underachievement and withdrawal from activities.
- 1.4The process of ceasing to take an addictive drug.More example sentences
detoxification• informal detox, (going) cold turkey
- When a mouse's running wheel is taken away, its brain shows a jump in neurological activity much like the symptoms seen during withdrawal from drug addiction.
- That's right, and two things that predicted maintenance of normal blood pressure after drug withdrawal were salt restriction and weight loss.
- They are tending to their addiction - keeping the physical devils of drug withdrawal at bay.
- 1.5Coitus interruptus.More example sentences
- Withdrawal does not protect against sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS.
- Withdrawal is not a reliable way to prevent pregnancy and is considered the least effective method of birth control.
- Some practised withdrawal and rhythm methods while others used the morning-after pill, or just cleaned themselves (females) after sexual intercourse.
- The unpleasant physical reaction that accompanies the process of ceasing to take an addictive drug.More example sentences
- In a police cell, he asked to see a doctor and stole 26 tablets used to help drug addicts cope with withdrawal symptoms.
- Youth develop tobacco addiction and experience withdrawal symptoms similar to adults when they try to abstain from smoking.
- There is no evidence that LSD produces physical withdrawal symptoms when chronic use is stopped.