Definition of wolverine in English:
1A heavily built short-legged carnivorous mammal with a shaggy dark coat and a bushy tail, native to the tundra and forests of arctic and subarctic regions.
- Gulo luscus of North America and G. gulo of Europe, family Mustelidae
- Predators of erethizontids include mustelids such as martens, minks, wolverines, ermine, weasels, and fishers.
- The researchers discovered shards of bone from mammoths, musk ox, brown bear, wolverine, rhinoceros, hares, bison, horses, reindeer, and cave lion.
- The weasel family includes such colourful characters as otters, wolverines, skunks, minks and badgers.
late 16th century (earlier as wolvering): formed obscurely from wolv-, plural stem of wolf.
Definition of wolverine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India