1A heavily built short-legged carnivorous mammal with a shaggy dark coat and a bushy tail, native to the tundra and forests of arctic and subarctic regions.
- Gulo luscus of North America and G. gulo of Europe, family Mustelidae
More example sentences
- Predators of erethizontids include mustelids such as martens, minks, wolverines, ermine, weasels, and fishers.
- The researchers discovered shards of bone from mammoths, musk ox, brown bear, wolverine, rhinoceros, hares, bison, horses, reindeer, and cave lion.
- The weasel family includes such colourful characters as otters, wolverines, skunks, minks and badgers.
late 16th century (earlier as wolvering): formed obscurely from wolv-, plural stem of wolf.
Definition of wolverine in:
- The British & World English dictionary