Definition of womanism in English:
A form of feminism that emphasizes women’s natural contribution to society (used by some in distinction to the term feminism and its association with white women).
- It has sometimes been called Marxism, sometimes socialist feminism, sometimes womanism, sometimes materialist feminism, or feminist materialism, and sometimes is implicit in work that bears no theoretical labels.
- Distinguishing between womanism and feminism, however, has often been a subject of debate.
- My students recently tackled the distinction between the philosophies of feminism and Black womanism.
- Example sentences
- Black feminists and womanists have consistently provided the most compelling egalitarian vision for the black freedom struggle.
- Perhaps womanist is a word that does not obscure or contradict feminism, but that represents a new kind of feminism that is fresh, informed and accessible.
- Nor need feminists and womanists worry unduly in this case about the tendency of atonement models to foster one-sided and narrow prescriptions for human action by elevating certain features of the cross to salvific status.
Definition of womanism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.