Definition of wood engraving in English:
1A print made from a finely detailed design cut into the end grain of a block of wood. Compare with woodcut.
- As this article was illustrated by a large wood engraving after a second reproductive print by Aristide Louis, the reference was made abundantly clear.
- To promote that part of his business, he had a nice billhead with a wood engraving illustrating a bench plane, an axe head, and a hatchet.
- This exercise in sentimental reportage, which had previously appeared as a wood engraving in the Graphic, briefly established Fildes as the leading social realist painter in England.
1.1The technique of making wood engravings.
- Bewick rediscovered the technique of wood engraving which he went on to establish as a major book illustrating technique but Hutton's book was his first assignment.
- In part one of this article the basic printmaking techniques relief printing and intaglio printing were discussed and the relief techniques woodcut, wood engraving and linocut were introduced.
- For a description of the technical process of wood engraving, please refer to printmaking and for a description how a traditional Japanese woodblock print is made, to Japanese prints.
wood engraver noun
- Example sentences
- This was the birthplace of the virtuoso wood engraver Thomas Bewick, though Bewick himself spent most of his life in nearby Newcastle, and had his workshop hard by St Nicholas's church, today the city's cathedral.
- He was the son of a miniaturist and trained as a wood engraver.
- In an 1844 vignette published in Les Belges illustres, the wood engraver Lacoste fils recast the courtly studio envisioned by Cornelius and Ducq into an artist's garret.
Definition of wood engraving in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan