Definition of wood-hoopoe in English:
A long-tailed African bird with a long, slender, down-curved bill and blackish plumage with a blue or green gloss.
- Genus Phoeniculus, family Phoeniculidae: several species
- Additional Old World families of this large order include bee-eaters, ground-rollers, hoopoes, wood-hoopoes, and hornbills.
- At first dawn, the grounds of our lodge come alive with the new sounds of cuckoos, wood-hoopoes, babblers, robin-chats, sunbirds, and many more.
- Most welcome in recent times around our house has been the friendly cackle of a family of green wood-hoopoes (formerly red-billed wood-hoopoe).
Definition of wood-hoopoe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.