Definition of wood-hoopoe in English:
A long-tailed African bird with a long, slender, down-curved bill and blackish plumage with a blue or green gloss.
- Genus Phoeniculus, family Phoeniculidae: several species
- Additional Old World families of this large order include bee-eaters, ground-rollers, hoopoes, wood-hoopoes, and hornbills.
- At first dawn, the grounds of our lodge come alive with the new sounds of cuckoos, wood-hoopoes, babblers, robin-chats, sunbirds, and many more.
- Most welcome in recent times around our house has been the friendly cackle of a family of green wood-hoopoes (formerly red-billed wood-hoopoe).
Definition of wood-hoopoe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan