- A long-tailed African bird with a long, slender, down-curved bill and blackish plumage with a blue or green gloss.
More example sentences
- Genus Phoeniculus, family Phoeniculidae: several species
- Additional Old World families of this large order include bee-eaters, ground-rollers, hoopoes, wood-hoopoes, and hornbills.
- At first dawn, the grounds of our lodge come alive with the new sounds of cuckoos, wood-hoopoes, babblers, robin-chats, sunbirds, and many more.
- Most welcome in recent times around our house has been the friendly cackle of a family of green wood-hoopoes (formerly red-billed wood-hoopoe).
More definitions of wood-hoopoeDefinition of wood-hoopoe in:
- The British & World English dictionary