Definition of woodcut in English:
1A print of a type made from a design cut in a block of wood, formerly widely used for illustrations in books. Compare with wood engraving.
- Apart from paintings he produced etchings, lithographs, and woodcuts as book illustrations.
- He created lithographs, etchings, drypoints, lino cuts, woodcuts and aquatints.
- When only woodcuts, etchings and engravings could be printed, the images would get worse and worse over time as the blocks or plates wore down.
1.1The technique of making woodcuts.
- Fabrics printed from wood are found in Middle Eastern work of the 5th century ad, and woodcut technique was advanced in China from the 9th century and probably earlier.
- Regular visits to China added new stock, not only of paintings, but also of artist's woodblock prints, folk art, stone rubbings and technically virtuosic colour woodcut reproductions of major masterpieces.
- The artist works in the traditional woodcut technique.
Words that rhyme with woodcutuppercut • chestnut
Definition of woodcut in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.