A mammoth that was adapted to the cold periods of the Pleistocene, with a long shaggy coat, small ears, and a thick layer of fat. Individuals are sometimes found frozen in the permafrost of Siberia.
- Mammuthus primigenius, family Elephantidae
More example sentences
- For example, they hope to find some intact nuclei preserved in 20,000 year-old carcasses of woolly mammoths frozen in the permafrost in Siberia.
- So while the Irish elk preferred relatively temperate conditions and semi-woodland habitats, the woolly mammoth was adapted to cold temperatures and open tundra.
- There has been much controversy over how many woolly mammoths are frozen in the permafrost of Siberia.
Definition of woolly mammoth in:
- The British & World English dictionary