- A war involving many large nations in all different parts of the world. The name is commonly given to the wars of 1914–18 and 1939–45, although only the second of these was truly global. See World War I, World War II.More example sentences
- As is well known, Turing spent the second world war breaking German military codes.
- He was killed in the second world war near Dunkirk when his battalion was overrun.
- Like the First World War, each world war destroyed what went before, the values, the way of life.
More definitions of world warDefinition of world war in:
- The British & World English dictionary