Definition of woundwort in English:
A hairy Eurasian plant resembling a dead-nettle, formerly used in the treatment of wounds.
- Genus Stachys, family Labiatae: several species
- There are some 300 species of Stachys, also known as betonies, hedge nettles and woundworts.
- One of the most intriguing groups of plants sought for their healing qualities, the woundworts, offers plenty of material for the researcher.
- There is no record of it being applied to bleeding wounds - the English woundworts are effective in initiating coagulation by reason of their hairs.
Definition of woundwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan