A hairy Eurasian plant resembling a dead-nettle, formerly used in the treatment of wounds.
- Genus Stachys, family Labiatae: several species
More example sentences
- There are some 300 species of Stachys, also known as betonies, hedge nettles and woundworts.
- One of the most intriguing groups of plants sought for their healing qualities, the woundworts, offers plenty of material for the researcher.
- There is no record of it being applied to bleeding wounds - the English woundworts are effective in initiating coagulation by reason of their hairs.
Definition of woundwort in:
- The British & World English dictionary