noun (plural same or wrasses)
- A marine fish with thick lips and strong teeth, typically brightly colored with marked differences between the male and female.
More example sentences
- Family Labridae: numerous genera and species
- The presence of the model predator at the mating site resulted in a strong initial reaction by both male and female bluehead wrasses.
- Many male damselfish, wrasses, and angelfish, among others, maintain harems.
- In marine areas, species concentrations are highest around coral reefs, where butterflyfishes and angelfishes, wrasses, parrotfishes and triggerfishes are common.
late 17th century: from Cornish wrah; related to Welsh gwrach, literally 'old woman'.
More definitions of wrasseDefinition of wrasse in:
- The British & World English dictionary