Definition of wrist in English:
1The joint connecting the hand with the forearm. See also carpus.
- For example, the nickel found in some jewellery may cause eczema on the ear lobes, wrists, and around the neck.
- Boils occur most often on the face, head, neck, forearms and wrists in that order.
- Maintain a slight bend in your elbows and keep your wrists aligned with your forearms.
1.1The equivalent joint (the carpal joint) in the foreleg of a quadruped or the wing of a bird.
- White underwing linings and some white at the wrist above are visible when the bird flies.
- When dry, their feathers do not conduct electricity, but their wrists and wing bones do.
- It has white wing-patches at the wrists, visible both when the bird is perched and when it flies.
1.2The part of a garment covering the wrist; a cuff.
- Embroidery of colorful dragons chasing their tails encircles the cuffs of her wrists, hemline and neckline.
- Dragons on the neckline, at the wrists and at the hemline of the gown stare boldly outward.
- The sleeves were white and had an elastic cuff around her wrist causing it to take a bell shape somewhat.
2 (also wrist pin) (In a machine) a stud projecting from a crank as an attachment for a connecting rod.
- The flat four's assembly process is different from a standard in-line engine's, so the wrist pins must be full-floating units.
- As we stated earlier, the wrist pins use snap rings to keep the pin from moving, and the Crower bushing allows the pins to be free floating rather than fixed.
Definition of wrist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan