- A piece of rock within an igneous rock that is not derived from the original magma but has been introduced from elsewhere, especially the surrounding country rock.More example sentences
- However, rare xenoliths of sedimentary rocks occur in the granite.
- The granite contains abundant xenoliths of the country rock.
- If the magma has risen quickly from the source region of the volcano, the xenoliths may represent country rock from all levels of the crust through which it has travelled.
More definitions of xenolithDefinition of xenolith in:
- The British & World English dictionary