A plant that needs very little water.
More example sentences
- High stomatal frequencies are usually characteristic of leaves of xerophytes.
- Indeed, this is the explanation offered by the classical and the majority of the modern textbooks on plant physiology or ecology especially when discussing adaptation of xerophytes to their habitat.
- Ferns generally lack some of the more typical adaptations of xerophytes, such as a thick hypodermis, sunken stomata, and CAM photosynthesis.
- More example sentences
- Haloxylon persicum is a stem-succulent xerophytic shrub, which only occurs in non-saline sandy deserts.
- A collection of cacti xerophytic plants - over 800 specimens - is exhibited in the nearby cactus house.
- Exodermis with Casparian bands was found in roots of hydrophytic, mesophytic and xerophytic species and in members of primitive as well as advanced families.
More definitions of xerophyteDefinition of xerophyte in:
- The British & World English dictionary