Definition of xylography in English:
The art of making woodcuts or wood engravings, especially by a relatively primitive technique.
- Albrecht Dürer became a leader in the art of xylography and was a part of the distinguished group who created the woodcuts of the Chronicle.
- These prints maintain the characteristics of traditional xylography and reflect the ongoing changes in architecture, clothes and transportation in the country.
- First seen in China around the 1st century, wood engraving or xylography is the oldest engraving technique known.
- Example sentences
- In fact, the maps are made with the xylographic method, but have the esthetic fineness of a copperplate engraving, needed to draw the tiny details found in a geographic map.
- Overleaf is the image of Saint Chistopher and at the end an image of Christ on the cross, both xylographic.
- No complete set of either of the xylographic editions seems to have survived the Cultural Revolution, although single volumes still exist in Tibet.
Definition of xylography in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan