noun (plural Ys or Y's)
- 1The twenty-fifth letter of the alphabet.More example sentences
- Created by two of todays wittiest, most imaginative minds, The Alphabet from A to Y with Bonus Letter Z! is a sheer delight from A to Z.
- Find fun games, crafts, stories, and other educational activities all related to the letter Y.
- 1.1Denoting the next after X in a set of items, categories, etc..More example sentences
- What Comes Next After Generation X? ... I would say, generation Y.
- After Boomers and X's, Here Come the Y's.
- 1.2Denoting a second unknown or unspecified person or thing: the claim that chemical X causes birth defect YMore example sentences
- Y denotes a second unknown or unspecified person or thing: the claim that chemical X causes birth defect Y.
- In mathematics, Y is the second in a set of two or three unknowns comprising x, y, and z.
- 1.3 (usually y) The second unknown quantity in an algebraic expression, usually the dependent variable.[the introduction of x, y, and z as symbols of unknown quantities is due to Descartes (see X1)]More example sentences
- By convention, we call the dependent variable y.
- In algebra, a variable is a symbol used to represent any number. For example, in this equation:. 2(x+y) = 2x + 2y. x and y are variables.
- 1.4 (usually y) Denoting the secondary or vertical axis in a system of coordinates: [in combination]: the y-axisMore example sentences
- Cartesian coordinate system with the circle of radius 2 centered at the origin marked in red. The equation of the circle is x2 + y2 = 4..
- The horizontal axis is normally labeled x, and the vertical axis is normally labeled y.
- 1.1North American • informal A YMCA, YWCA, YMHA, or YWHA facility: Scott was living at the YMore example sentences
- With the intensity of the heat and the humidity becoming all a little too much, I came back to the Y, for a swim and for a sleep.
- Its Fun To Stay At The Y in HK.