Definition of yakuza in English:
noun (plural same)
1A Japanese gangster or racketeer.
- In another, an ageing yakuza gangster returns to a park where he used to meet his first love.
- Moon Child is a low budget Japanese yakuza vampire sci-fi action drama.
- So it was perhaps inevitable that he should have turned to playing a gangster - a yakuza - in his fourth film.
1.1A Japanese organized crime syndicate similar to the Mafia.
- Various kinds of people came to stay there, including members of the yakuza, and given that fact, I thought it would be foolish not to learn some kind of martial art.
- Japanese yakuza kingpin Akatora wants him because he thinks Dinosaur took his merchandise.
- Namie introduced her to the seedy underworld, but not the yakuza one, that being a rich teenager in Tokyo had to offer.
Japanese, from ya 'eight' + ku 'nine' + za 'three', referring to the worst hand in a gambling game.
Definition of yakuza in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan