- A semiaquatic carnivorous opossum with dark-banded gray fur and webbed hind feet, native to tropical America. Also called water opossum.
More example sentences
- Chironectes minimus, family Didelphidae
- It is shared by the American or Virginian opossum; the rare water opossum, or yapok of northern South America and the eastern native cat of Australia.
- The gestation periods of the American opossum, also called the Virginian Opossum, the rare water opossum or yapok of central and northern South America and the eastern native cat of Australia are all normally 12-13 days but can be as short as eight days.
- Marsupials live underground, on land, in trees (tree kangaroos and koalas), and in water (yapok), and inhabit rainforests, deserts, and temperate regions.
early 19th century: from Oyapock, the name of a northern Brazilian river.
More definitions of yapokDefinition of yapok in:
- The British & World English dictionary