Definition of yard of ale in English:
1The amount of ale or beer (typically two to three pints) held by a narrow glass about a yard high.
- For birthdays, no celebration is complete without the downing of the yard of ale.
- There is still enough dance space to swing to and enough seating space to sidle up to the off fraulein and offer her a sip of your yard of ale.
- The kind of spellbinding tale that goes down well with several yards of ale and of the genre that can often be heard in our local Shenanigans.
1.1A narrow glass about a yard high for drinking ale or beer.
- I know that in most pubs offering yards of ale, the trick is to drink the tubular tipple without spilling brew all over oneself, but at that price I was not prepared to experiment, and no-one in the lunchtime crowd seemed tempted either.
- A Yard of Ale will typically hold two or three pints of ale, (never lager!).
Definition of yard of ale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan