noun (plural yardmen)
1A person working in a railroad or lumberyard.
- Older hump yards utilized large numbers of ‘riders’, yardmen who rode cars to apply hand brakes as they went down the hump.
- Sources at the town hall also confirmed the yardman, responsible for operating the weighbridge, was sacked after another disciplinary hearing.
- Remote control eliminated the engineer on yard jobs with two yardmen (one, a foreman) using the ‘Pitch and Catch’ system made by Canac.
2US A person who does various outdoor jobs.
- Helena ran down the hall yelling in Spanish at the yardmen.
- In any event, we definitely would not recommend that you have your yardman remove the paint.
- Our yardmen have done such a good job of piling clippings against the foundations that the Empress has termites.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of yardman in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.