Definition of yardman in English:
noun (plural yardmen)
1A person working in a railroad or lumberyard.
- Older hump yards utilized large numbers of ‘riders’, yardmen who rode cars to apply hand brakes as they went down the hump.
- Sources at the town hall also confirmed the yardman, responsible for operating the weighbridge, was sacked after another disciplinary hearing.
- Remote control eliminated the engineer on yard jobs with two yardmen (one, a foreman) using the ‘Pitch and Catch’ system made by Canac.
2US A person who does various outdoor jobs.
- Helena ran down the hall yelling in Spanish at the yardmen.
- In any event, we definitely would not recommend that you have your yardman remove the paint.
- Our yardmen have done such a good job of piling clippings against the foundations that the Empress has termites.
Definition of yardman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan