Definition of yearn in English:
1Have an intense feeling of longing for something, typically something that one has lost or been separated from: she yearned for a glimpse of him some people yearn for a return to monarchy [with infinitive]: they yearned to go home
More example sentences
- My heart aches now, yearning for you to come back and hug me for the last time before you leave.
- My heart yearned for you for months and now its desire is fulfilled!
- I do love this country and I am not about to stop yearning for change and doing what I can to affect a change - but one grows weary.
Old English giernan, from a Germanic base meaning 'eager'.
- Example sentences
- It said the ‘martyrdom lovers and heaven yearners’ selected the three hotel targets after ‘a month of surveillance and information gathering of the targets.’
- I couldn't recognise the yearner of the poems in this woman of sass and spirit.