Definition of yell in English:
1A loud, sharp cry, especially of pain, surprise, or delight; a shout.
- In his mind, he can hear the screams and yells of men as pain and suffering gripped them.
- The man let out a short, sharp yell of pain and dropped his arm to cover his wound.
- She put her arms agaist the wall and put her head down and let out a loud, long yell of frustation and fear.
1.1North American An organized cheer, especially one used to support a sports team.
- The sounds of their feet stomping forward and their assorted yells echoed in the gym.
- The head official finished as yells and cheers erupted from the people in the high boxes on the wall.
- At least three poker games were in session with yells of victory or groans of loss that shook the walls.
verb[no object] Back to top
Give a loud, sharp cry: you heard me yelling at her [with direct speech]: “Happy New Year!” Ashley yelled
More example sentences
- Mr Singh chased the man out the door and yelled at him as he ran off then got in a car.
- We were then greeted by a loud thud against the door and a very loud voice yelling at us.
- At one point Marie yelled at me to shut up because she wanted them to all come back next week.
Words that rhyme with yellAdele, Aix-la-Chapelle, aquarelle, artel, au naturel, bagatelle, béchamel, befell, bell, belle, boatel, Brunel, Cadell, carousel, cartel, cell, Chanel, chanterelle, clientele, Clonmel, compel, Cornell, crime passionnel, dell, demoiselle, dispel, dwell, el, ell, Estelle, excel, expel, farewell, fell, Fidel, fontanelle, foretell, Gabrielle, gazelle, gel, Giselle, hell, hotel, impel, knell, lapel, mademoiselle, maître d'hôtel, Manuel, marcel, matériel, mesdemoiselles, Michel, Michelle, Miguel, misspell, morel, moschatel, Moselle, motel, muscatel, nacelle, Nell, Nobel, Noel, organelle, outsell, Parnell, pell-mell, personnel, propel, quell, quenelle, rappel, Raquel, Ravel, rebel, repel, Rochelle, Sahel, sardelle, sell, shell, show-and-tell, smell, Snell, spell, spinel, swell, tell, undersell, vielle, villanelle, well
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.