Definition of yellowhammer in English:
1 another term for yellow-shafted flicker (see flicker2).
- The other species that have been put on the list are the marsh tit, willow tit, ring ouzel, grasshopper warbler, Savi's warbler, lesser spotted woodpecker and yellowhammer.
- The flicker with its many aliases is probably our most interesting woodpecker. Some of the more common are the yellowhammer and the yellow-shafted woodpecker.
- The yellow-shafted flicker (Colaptes auratus), known locally as the yellowhammer, is the state bird of Alabama.
2A common Eurasian bunting, the male of which has a yellow head, neck, and breast.
- Emberiza citrinella, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
- Snipe, red buntings, yellowhammers and even kingfishers are supposedly hereabouts.
- The conventional plots also held more weed seeds, which are important to birds such as skylarks and yellowhammers.
- Through the glass door to the step outside, two dozen yellowhammers and sparrows picked up seeds thrown on the snowy concrete.
Mid 16th century: -hammer is perhaps from Old English amore (a kind of bird), possibly conflated with hama 'feathers'.
Definition of yellowhammer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.