Definition of yellowhammer in English:
1 another term for yellow-shafted flicker (see flicker2).
- The other species that have been put on the list are the marsh tit, willow tit, ring ouzel, grasshopper warbler, Savi's warbler, lesser spotted woodpecker and yellowhammer.
- The flicker with its many aliases is probably our most interesting woodpecker. Some of the more common are the yellowhammer and the yellow-shafted woodpecker.
- The yellow-shafted flicker (Colaptes auratus), known locally as the yellowhammer, is the state bird of Alabama.
2A common Eurasian bunting, the male of which has a yellow head, neck, and breast.
- Emberiza citrinella, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
- Snipe, red buntings, yellowhammers and even kingfishers are supposedly hereabouts.
- The conventional plots also held more weed seeds, which are important to birds such as skylarks and yellowhammers.
- Through the glass door to the step outside, two dozen yellowhammers and sparrows picked up seeds thrown on the snowy concrete.
mid 16th century: -hammer is perhaps from Old English amore (a kind of bird), possibly conflated with hama 'feathers'.
Words that rhyme with yellowhammerwindjammer
Definition of yellowhammer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan