(Australian also zamia palm)
Definition of zamia in English:
An American or Australian cycad, some kinds of which produce roots or seeds that are edible after careful preparation.
- Genera Zamia (of America) and Macrozamia (of Australia), family Zamiaceae
- This eco retreat is located at one end of the gorge and is surrounded by zamia palms and open lawns.
- Its name, incidentally, comes from the hardy and resilient zamia palm found in central Queensland.
- A kind of damper is made from the seeds or nuts from the female plants of cycads and zamia palms.
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from zamiae, misreading (in Pliny) of azaniae 'pine cones'.
Definition of zamia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.