- He says there have always been religious zealots, but modern technology has given them a lethal capacity.
- The level of delusion here eclipses that of the most fanatical of religious zealots.
- Creationism often conjures visions of religious zealots who believe the book of Genesis verbatim.
- One can think of the 1st century situation in Palestine where Jewish Zealots would publicly slit the throats of Romans and their collaborators.
- After Herod's death in 4 BC, Masada was captured by the Romans, but in ad 66 Jewish Zealots took it by surprise and occupied it.
- The Jewish Zealots at Massada committed suicide rather than be defeated and taken into slavery by the Romans.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'member of an ancient Jewish sect'): via ecclesiastical Latin from Greek zēlōtēs, from zēloun 'be jealous', from zēlos (see zeal).
Words that rhyme with zealotappellate, Helot, prelate
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.