Having or showing zeal: the council was extremely zealous in the application of the regulations
More example sentences
- This was an act committed by one zealous serving girl who sinned thereby.
- Such zealous passion would seem to be the natural preserve of that dangerous species, the young man.
- Ann Lee and her immediate entourage were unbowed in their zealous commitment.
fervent, ardent, fervid, fanatical, passionate, impassioned, devout, devoted, committed, dedicated, hard-core, enthusiastic, eager, keen, overkeen, avid, card-carrying, vigorous, energetic, intense, fierce
- Example sentences
- Some who have testified say they're less worried that what they say will be leaked to the public than that it will get back to the agencies themselves, which are known for their zealousness in tracking down whistleblowers.
- If the EU Commission is thought to be acting with undue zealousness in the application of the pact it may work against the pro-euro cause in Britain, Denmark and Sweden.
- Her new zealousness has become very personal and directed at people who supported her.
Early 16th century: from a medieval Latin derivative of Latin zelus 'zeal, jealousy'.
Words that rhyme with zealousjealous
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.