- A carotenoid present in the retina of the eye and in many plants, used as a food additive and supplement.More example sentences
- The recombinant protein was assayed for cleavage activity towards zeaxanthin.
- The blue light response of guard cells is mediated by the chloroplastic carotenoid, zeaxanthin.
- The first major breakthrough in understanding the molecular genetics of ABA biosynthesis involved the cloning of zeaxanthin epoxidase.
1920s: via German from modern Latin zea 'maize' + xanthin, a yellow coloring in some plants.
More definitions of zeaxanthinDefinition of zeaxanthin in:
- The British & World English dictionary