- A small freshwater bivalve mollusk with zigzag markings on the shell, sometimes becoming a pest because it blocks water pipes.
More example sentences
- Dreissena polymorpha, family Dreissenidae
- The Asian clam and the zebra mussel are probably the two most common exotic species, which have been introduced to North American freshwaters.
- In 1988 the zebra mussel, once confined to the lakes and rivers of Europe, hitched a ride to Lake Erie, presumably in the ballast tanks of a visiting freighter.
- The zebra mussel, for instance, has spread via ships and boats across Western Europe and North America.
More definitions of zebra musselDefinition of zebra mussel in:
- The British & World English dictionary