Definition of zilch in English:
- As an added bonus, since I know absolutely zilch about Bob Fosse, I could not take serious issue with the choreography like the obnoxious couple sitting next to me.
- I simply wanted to point out my lack of experience, i.e. zilch and zero, of attending major rock concerts.
- I can offer zilch in the way of information about Allawi himself.
determinerBack to top
- But I sure don't play rugby just for the money and if I was paid zilch I would still be the first one out at training.
1960s: of unknown origin.
zip from mid 19th century:
As a name for a fastener, zip dates from the 1920s. The idea of speed was already present in a 19th-century use representing the sound of something moving through the air rapidly. Zoom appears at the same time with the same sense. In the USA zip also means ‘nothing, nil, zero’. This appeared in print in 1900, much earlier than the similar zilch, the first clear example of which dates from the mid 1960s, though Mr Zilch had been used as an indefinite name 30 or more years before. The US zip code, a postal code consisting of five or nine digits, is unrelated, being short for Zone Improvement Plan.
Words that rhyme with zilchfilch
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.