- 1The chemical element of atomic number 30, a silvery-white metal that is a constituent of brass and is used for coating (galvanizing) iron and steel to protect against corrosion. (Symbol: Zn)More example sentences
- A zinc rich paint coating protects the interior of the pipe.
- Soy beans are also a rich source of calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, B-vitamins, omega - 3 fatty acids and fiber.
- Coatings such as zinc and tin provide protection against corrosion.
- 1.1 [usually as modifier] Galvanized iron or steel, especially as the material of domestic utensils or corrugated roofs: a zinc roofMore example sentences
- Many people can afford corrugated zinc roofs on their homes.
- The older areas in the center of the city are often made up of mud and cement houses with corrugated zinc roofs.
- Imported building material, such as the zinc sheets for roofing, is becoming increasingly important in the countryside.
verb[with object] (usually as adjective zinced) Back to top
- Coat (iron) with zinc or a zinc compound to prevent rust.More example sentences
- The motherboards have 120 mm PVC spacers to keep them apart and are threaded along M4 zinced thread section.
mid 17th century: from German Zink, of unknown origin.
More definitions of zincDefinition of zinc in:
- The British & World English dictionary