1The chemical element of atomic number 30, a silvery-white metal that is a constituent of brass and is used for coating (galvanizing) iron and steel to protect against corrosion. (Symbol: Zn)
- A zinc rich paint coating protects the interior of the pipe.
- Soy beans are also a rich source of calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, B-vitamins, omega - 3 fatty acids and fiber.
- Coatings such as zinc and tin provide protection against corrosion.
1.1 [usually as modifier] Galvanized iron or steel, especially as the material of domestic utensils or corrugated roofs: a zinc roof
More example sentences
- Many people can afford corrugated zinc roofs on their homes.
- The older areas in the center of the city are often made up of mud and cement houses with corrugated zinc roofs.
- Imported building material, such as the zinc sheets for roofing, is becoming increasingly important in the countryside.
verb[with object] (usually as adjective zinced)
Mid 17th century: from German Zink, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with zincbethink, blink, brink, cinque, clink, dink, drink, fink, Frink, gink, ink, interlink, jink, kink, link, mink, pink, plink, prink, rink, shrink, sink, skink, slink, stink, sync, think, wink
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.