- A mineral occurring as prismatic crystals, typically brown but sometimes in translucent varieties of gem quality. It consists of zirconium silicate and is the chief ore of zirconium.More example sentences
- Sillimanite, cordierite, apatite, monazite and zircon are also present.
- A honey-colored to brown zircon continues to be mined that can be heat-treated to lighten the color.
- Even resistant minerals such as zircon have been found to be etched by bacteria.
late 18th century: from German Zirkon; compare with jargon2.
More definitions of zirconDefinition of zircon in:
- The British & World English dictionary