- A low-growing grass of the genus Zoysia, native to tropical Asia and New Zealand and widely used for lawns.
More example sentences
- Family Gramineae: several species and cultivars, including Z. matrella and Z. japonica
- Previously, zoysia has been only widely available as sod, sprigs or strips.
- The oldest improved zoysia, ‘Emerald’, is still available and still good.
- Space plugs of slower-growing species, such as zoysia, closer together.
1960s: modern Latin, from the name of the Austrian botanist Carl von Zoys zu Laubach + -ia1.