A molecule or ion having separate positively and negatively charged groups.
- Further experiments will address the problem of how many water molecules are required to facilitate and stabilise charge transfer to the zwitterion.
- In these studies we have immobilized a wide range of hydrophobic zwitterions onto a reversed-phase chromatographic support to produce the desired zwitterionic stationary phase.
- As a result, gramicidin does not form a zwitterion or become charged at any pH, explaining its poor solubility in water.
- Example sentences
- It is this combination of experiment and theory that provides a new and detailed picture of the specific interaction between sodium ions and zwitterionic lipid molecules.
- Another significant factor may be the difference in charge between the buffer salts; phosphate is anionic whereas Tris is cationic and zwitterionic.
- The main goal of the present article is to evaluate atomistic molecular dynamics simulations as tools for investigating monolayers of zwitterionic and anionic phospholipids.
Early 20th century: from German, from Zwitter 'a hybrid' + Ion 'ion'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of zwitterion in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.